Node.js vs Django vs Laravel: Which is The Best Web App Development Framework in 2021?
Let’s start with the basics. What exactly are web frameworks? In simple terms, they are nothing but software packages that simplify complex web app development processes. They also come with several built-in functionalities that minimize the time required for the development of the app. Consequently, they result in a faster transition from the development phase to the production phase.
The entire developer’s community seems to be divided when it comes to choosing the best framework. Some feel that Node.js is the best option, while others feel it’s Laravel, and the rest of them think it is Django.
So which framework is the best option for web app development? Through this blog, we shall compare all three of them on various parameters and criteria.
But before that, let’s have a look at what these three web frameworks are.
It includes event-driven and asynchronous APIs. Since Node.js operates on a single thread, it has emerged as a first choice for web app development for a lot of developers. Also, it eliminates blocking during execution.
The entire server is event-based and is triggered when it gets call-backs. This is what enables the server to return back each time it is called. It also prevents it from the state of sleep or pause.
Advantages of Node.js
· Easy scalability — developers can easily add additional nodes to the current system to scale application in both horizontal and vertical directions.
· Highly extensible — You can customize and extend Node.js as per the requirements of your web app development. Further, you can also offer a scope of exchange of data between the web server and the client by using JSON.
· Extended support — Developers utilise Node.js’ extended support for different tools. For instance, for testing the source code of Node.js applications, they get to use Jasmin and other unit-testing tools. In the same way, they can use npm to install and identify project dependencies.
· Caching advantages — In Node.js, the requests in the first module gets automatically cached in the application memory. This significantly helps the developers as they do not have to re-execute codes since caching enables the apps to respond faster and quickly load the web pages.
Django is a lightweight programmable web app development framework that is based on Python. It follows the Model View Template (MVT) role for web development.
Django came into the market in 2005 and over the years it has become the first choice for several developers. Some big names like Instagram, Pinterest, BitBucket, and Mozilla are using Django for their web application development.
The major highlight of this framework is the ease offered by it to seamlessly integrate solutions to decrease the timeframe to market the developed app. When it comes to working on complex web app development projects, the Django framework is now most developers’ first choice.
Advantages of Django
· Simple & fast — Django follows the principle of rapid development. This helps developers to do more than one iteration at a time without the need for beginning the entire schedule from scratch. Additionally, the Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY) philosophy means that developers can reuse the existing codes and thus focus on unique codes.
· Security — Django has a great security system. It enables developers in avoiding security issues like clickjacking, cross-site scripting, and SQL injection. Also, Django regularly and promptly releases security patches and is among the first to respond to vulnerabilities or alert notification.
· Suitable for any project — With Django, developers can solve any web app development project of any size and capacity whether it is a simple website or a high-loaded application. This is because Django works with major databases which enables it to utilise the database that is more suitable for a specific project.
Django is equipped with Object-Relational Mapper (ORM) which offers a layer between a developer and database. This makes it easier to migrate databases and applications with just minor code changes.
Laravel is a full-stack open-source PHP framework. Although it was released years after Django, it comes with a wide range of features that help you in designing a different kind of web applications.
These features also simplify the development process and decrease the development time for a web app development company. Developers often rely on Laravel whenever they want to design big or small web applications.
However, in order to work with Laravel, the developers must have a good command and vast experience in PHP. The majority of applications that are developed with Laravel can be used for the content management system.
Also, Laravel upscales those functionalities that help in gaining and driving traffic towards a website. It has now become the powerhouse of features that can help in every phase of web app development.
Advantages of Laravel
· Routing — Laravel can execute routing in two ways, unlike other PHP development environments. First, with the help of controllers, and second by adding the code directly to the route. This can be helpful if you want to build a pile of controllers with multiple methods.
· Exceptional handling — By sending them error messages Laravel makes users aware of the mistakes and is therefore highly capable of handling errors. Also, it comes with support for log handlers. They are available in the integrated Monolog logging library.
· Data migration from SQL — In case a web app development company doesn’t wish to directly work with SQL, then they can use the special algorithm written in Python. This algorithm makes sure that there is proper interaction with the database.
· Authorization and authentication systems — Laravel simplifies implementation and authentication with out of the box configuration. The later versions come with predefined packages that control access to resources and organize authorization logic.
We hope that the information provided above serves as a guide to help you choose the best framework for your web app development project. Here we have listed out the features of all three frameworks on different parameters like performance, scalability, framework base, and security.
When it comes to choosing the best framework, it depends on the requirements your developers have with respect to the technologies. Accordingly, you can hire Node.js developers, or Django developers or Laravel developers as per your project requirement.